Suffering from Foot Arch Pain?
Easy steps to treat the cause and get relief from the pain.

Foot arch pain can be felt as a burning sensation under the arch of the foot. Your arch may also appear to be inflamed.

Causes of foot arch pain

There are a number of causes for foot arch pain but the most common is plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the plantar fascia which is a muscle located along the bottom of the foot. It runs from the heel to the front of your foot.

This muscle might become inflamed if you have over-pronation otherwise known as flat feet. If you have flat feet, and have been on your feet all day, or have been running, walking or exercising frequently this may be enough to stretch the plantar fascia ligament and cause it to become inflamed.

Treatment of foot arch pain

In the immediate onset of pain, applying regular ice packs to the affected area can reduce swelling and pain. You will also find that using anti-inflammatory gels can do a lot for reducing the pain and aiding recovery.

If you think the cause of your arch pain might be due to excessive activity try taking it easy. If you stand a lot at work see if you can be seated more, if you run a lot try a low impact activity such as swimming or cycling for a while.

Other steps you can take to manage the pain and prevent future problems include:

  • Perform light stretching exercises that stretch the calf muscles and arch.

  • Check to make sure your footwear is adequate and well fitting and that it offers the support your feet require.Choose footwear with a reasonable heel, soft leather uppers, shock absorbing soled and removable foot insoles.

  • Avoid high-heeled shoes whenever possible.

  • Try wearing an arch support brace that will support the plantar fascia (the fibrous band of tissue that runs along the sole of the foot) and subsequently alleviate the soreness, inflammation and discomfort in the arch.

  • Consider using custom foot orthotics or insoles to support the arch and stabilize the heel while wearing shoes.

And as always, if the problem persists, consult your foot doctor.